Monday, September 5, 2011

Positive impact of story telling on kids

Recently,I discovered a latent talent of mine.I have this amazing talent of making up stories to my kids related to my life. This art of mine helps me to achieve my motive of distracting the attention of my child to the desired object or action.

For the past few days, my 3 year old daughter has become cranky and fussy. She would cry without any reason and at times refuse to go to school. She would demand something which is not available or cannot be prepared at once.

Her reluctance to go to school surprised me because she used to be so excited and prepared to go to school even on weekends. Now this sudden change was not easy to get rid of. So today when she showed her tantrums, I decided to handle it differently.

I told her a story when I used to be small and avoided school. I told her that my teachers and friends cried and missed me and they called me to come otherwise they would not have their lunch. The story was spontaneous and I kept on adding things to divert her mind. In the last, I told her that my Mother helped me in dressing up well and sent me to school.Then I asked her whether she wants to be dressed properly or shabbily while going to school. She said that she wants to look beautiful. So we went to her almirah to find a beautiful dress which she would wear to school!!

The whole purpose of making the story was to divert her attention and convert her moody attitude into happiness.
Story telling is a great tool through which children can acquire new habits or learn human values. It is an easy way to motivate children and to handle their mood swings. Either develop a story of your own or read out from a story book. Both have positive impact on the kids.

So try this tool taday and let me know how this art helped you in dealing with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment