Malaria is a very serious disease common during rains. It is transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. Common symptoms of the disease are drowsiness, low appetite, lack of sleep and irritability followed by high fever, body ache and shivering and sweating as well. If not taken care on time, the disease can be fatal. However, malaria is absolutely preventable.
The best way to prevent Malaria is to take necessary steps to ensure that the mosquito does not bite you. Some of the precautions to safeguard your kids from getting Malaria are,
- Wearing Loose-Fitting Clothes - It is essential step if you are travelling with your kids to a new place or village. Ensure that your kids wear loose-fitting clothes with long sleeves, long trousers. In addition, keep socks handy for your kids if you are out at dusk or night.
- Mosquito Repellent Cream - Apply an insect repellent cream that contains diethyltoluamide (DEET) on the skin and clothes of your kids. Stronger preparation against Malaria will keep your kids safe.
- Mosquito Net - Always ensure that you use mosquito net over the bed of your kids. Always check that it is not impregnated with an insecticide and contain any holes in it.
- Insecticide Spray - Spray your kid’s room with an insecticide before they go to bed to sleep at night.
- Air Conditioning - Ensure that air conditioner of your kids room is working perfectly. Using an air conditioning means lesser mosquitoes as they are less active in cooler temperatures.
Along with these, you need to ensure that your surroundings are clean as mosquitoes thrive in dirty places and in stagnant water. Ensure there is no unused water or stagnant water in coolers, water tanks and other places as these serve as ideal place for breeding of mosquitoes.